Questions to Ask a Doula
“Next time, I’m getting a doula!”
I have heard this many times. A doula is someone at a birth who is there just for the mama, unlike the midwife or the partner/dad. This is such an important, personal support person on the birth team. website tech info I wondered, due to the intimacy between mama and doula, how one chooses a doula.
What questions should one ask when interviewing a doula?
I thought I would share some links that have helpful suggestions for interviewing doulas. Each has questions that seem valuable. I have highlighted these below.
- “What’s your view of childbirth?”
- “Why are you a doula?”
- How do you view your role at the birth?
- How do you feel about ———–? (Ask here about any concerns or preferences that may be on your mind, such as pain/comfort issues, or the role of your partner.)
- Tell me about some of the births you’ve attended.
- Can you drive us to the birth center or hospital if necessary?
- Will you meet with us after the birth to review the labor and answer questions?
NOTE: Many a mama has realized that dads/partners do not fill the same role as doulas. Read more in “Dads vs. Doulas.”